Animal Physiology: From Genes to Organisms, 2nd Edition
Promoting a conceptual understanding and taking an integrative systems approach, ANIMAL PHYSIOLOGY 2E illustrates the individual organization as well as the collective interdependence of each complete physiological system. The text begins with chapters on integrative principles and on the genomic, molecular, and cellular basis of physiology, then proceeds to chapters on individual organ systems. For each organ system, evolutionary forces as well as current cellular and molecular research are discussed. To clearly illustrate system interdependence, each systems chapter contains a summary, titled “Making Connections.” To make the text even more accessible to students, the authors also incorporate a comparative approach to animal physiology, examining the basic physiology of many vertebrate and nonvertebrate animals as well as their primary diseases and ability to respond to environmental changes.
- ANIMAL PHYSIOLOGY’s primary organization is according to body system, but it also provides coverage of cellular, molecular, and genomic topics in early chapters, and incorporates this information throughout the text as a basis for understanding organ function.
- Each chapter includes an overview of major evolutionary events and selective forces. All topics have been placed in a biological context that melds the proximate (mechanistic) approach of traditional physiology with the evolutionary explanations behind them, in order to discuss not only the power of natural selection, but also the often seemingly illogical details of life.
- The authors include both analogies and frequent references to everyday experiences to help students relate to the physiology concepts presented.
- Special breakout boxes pique the interest of students and encourage critical thinking, including “Molecular Biology and Genomics,” “Beyond the Basics,” “Challenges and Controversies,” “Unanswered Questions,” and “A Closer Look at Adaptation.”
- NEW! A thorough review of the most recent published literature led to the inclusion of the most current, cutting-edge scientific information. In addition, more details on evolutionary and comparative aspects of physiological adaptations have been included.
- NEW! Over 90% of the art has been upgraded in this edition, with more three-dimensional art; many conceptually redesigned or new figures to enhance student understanding; brighter, more contemporary, and more visually appealing colors; and a more consistent style throughout.
- NEW! Check Your Understanding questions have been added after each major section to help review the main ideas just discussed.
- NEW! Each chapter now ends with a bulleted list of key concepts and additional Review, Synthesize, and Analyze essay questions that integrate the chapter material or delve deeper into a topic and challenge the student on a higher level.
- NEW! Cengage Learning’s Physiology CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support ANIMAL PHYSIOLOGY.