Mader’s Reptile and Amphibian Medicine and Surgery, 3rd Edition
by Stephen Divers, Scott Stahl
Known as “the bible” of herpetological medicine and surgery, Mader’s Reptile and Amphibian Medicine and Surgery, 3rd Edition edited by Stephen Divers and Scott Stahl provides a complete veterinary reference for reptiles and amphibians, including specific sections on practice management and development; taxonomy, anatomy, physiology, behavior, stress and welfare; captive husbandry and management including nutrition, heating and lighting; infectious diseases and laboratory sciences; clinical techniques and procedures; sedation, anesthesia and analgesia; diagnostic imaging; endoscopy; medicine; surgery; therapy; differential diagnoses by clinical signs; specific disease/condition summaries; population health and public health; and legal topics. Well-organized and concise, this new edition covers just about everything related to reptiles and amphibians by utilizing an international array of contributing authors that were selected based on their recognized specialization and expertise, bringing a truly global perspective to this essential text!
- Highly knowledgeable, well respected, recognized specialists add a global view of the subject matter.
- Details on creating, building and maintaining your herpetological veterinary practice
- The extensive biology of a wide variety of species is covered, including snakes, lizards, turtles, crocodiles, tuatara and amphibians, providing an understanding of the unique anatomy and physiology of these species, which is a vital prerequisite of medicine and surgery.
- Spellings of all North American reptiles and amphibians approved by The Committee of Standard English and Scientific Names ensures students have the most up-to-date naming conventions for these exotic species.
- Thorough coverage of taxa-specific husbandry and management practices, as well as current nutritional recommendations, advances in lighting, welfare, and behavioral training.
- Dedicated section on infectious diseases (virology, bacteriology, mycology, parasitology) and laboratory diagnostics
- Detailed, step-by-step techniques and procedures including catheters and feeding tubes, and modern recommendation on hospitalization and euthanasia.
- Completely revised chapters on sedation, general anesthesia, analgesia, local anesthesia and amphibian anesthesia
- Completely revised chapters on radiography, ultrasonography, CT, MRI, scintigraphy, diagnostic endoscopy and endosurgery
- Greatly expanded medicine section details all major areas including urology, hepatology, cardiology, dermatology, ophthalmology, gastroenterology, pulmonology, neurology, oncology, endocrinology, theriogenology, musculoskeletal, vascular/hematopoietic/immunology, behavioral medicine, nutritional diseases, perinatology, geriatrics, emergency and critical care, toxicology and amphibian medicine.
- Completely revised and expanded surgery section includes the eye, ear, rhinarium, oral cavity, integument, coeliotomy and internal viscera, cloaca, amphibian soft tissue surgery, orthopedics and amputation.
- Expanded and updated therapy section on antimicrobials, anti-virals, anti-parasiticides, anti-inflammatories, including new chapters on psychopharmacology, oncologic therapies, photobiomodulation, wound management, and rehabilitation.
- A revised list of common conditions and diseases allows busy practitioners to review the most common, clinically significant, hot topics quickly and clearly.
- Expanded section on population health includes new chapters on commercial reptile farming, large collection management, breeders/wholesalers & retail, laboratory management, conservation issues and ecosystem health.
- Updated international, European and US legislation with new chapters on forensics and jurisprudence, expert testimony and court appearances.