Swine in the Laboratory: Surgery, Anesthesia, Imaging, and Experimental Techniques, 3rd Edition
by M. Michael Swindle, Alison C. Smith
For two decades, Swine in the Laboratory: Surgery, Anesthesia, and Experimental Techniques has been the most respected practical technical guide for medical and veterinary researchers using swine as experimental animals. Extensively updated and expanded since the publication of the second edition in 2007 and now sponsored by the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM), it continues to be the most authoritative source of scientific and technical information on the use of domestic and miniature swine in research.
Additions to the Third Edition Include:
- New chapters on toxicology, transgenics, cancer models, and necropsy techniques
- An overview of porcine models that were not included in the previous edition
- Updates to chapters on the various body systems
- Contributions from 25 new coauthors, as well as a new coeditor
- Significant expansions to the accompanying DVD, including new normal data on farm and minipig breeds, videos on training swine and surgical procedures, updated anatomical imaging, and a colored histological atlas
Detailed sections on anesthesia, analgesia, and perioperative care present the best current practices for using swine in experimental surgery. Providing a deepened reference of the most current information and best techniques in an increasingly popular field since the publication of the first edition, this book is a vital tool in conducting the best possible research using porcine models.
- Adds new chapters on toxicology, transgenics, cancer, and necropsy
- Includes technical discussions on anesthesia, analgesia, and perioperative care that present the best practices for using swine in experimental surgery
- Contains an updated and expanded DVD that includes more than 50 videos of surgical and experimental techniques, a color histologic atlas of normal tissues, and normal data for the most common breeds of minipigs and domestic swine
- Provides extended reference lists at the end of each chapter to facilitate further study
File size: 21.8 MB